dear Lord

dear Lord
dear Lord

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Banana Bread

I am trying to lose a little weight.  My blood pressure is on the rise along with my blood sugar. I am a sweets junky!!!  I eat at least something sweet twice a day.

I am going to 1. eat one fruit a day, which, yep, I am not really crazy about. I don't do a lot of fruits other than apples in the Fall.  And once in a while some berries when in season.  Usually my fruit is in a pie or cake, lol...   Hopefully this will help curb my sweet tooth a little. And 2.  I am going to lay off  some carbs.

I tried this banana bread recipe that was in my diet cookbook. It is pretty good on its own but I changed it around a bit and it isn't too bad. I think this would probably be good for diabetics.


Banana Bread

1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 1/4 t.  baking powder
1/2 t.  baking soda
1/2 t.  ground cinnamon
1/8 t.  salt
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 C.  mashed banana
3/4 C.  sugar - I changed to 3/4 C. Splenda
1/4 C. oil - I changed to 1/3  C.  Motts  no sugar natural applesauce

In a medium bowl stir tog flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt

In a large bowl stir tog egg white, banana, Splenda, and applesauce.
Stir flour mix into banana mix just till moistened.

Spray an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray or I usually take a bit of oil on a paper towel and coat pan with the oil.  Spread batter into a prepared pan and bake at 350 oven for 45 to 50 min. or till toothpick comes out clean.

Cool bread in pan for 10 min. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. For easier slicing, wrap bread in plastic wrap and store overnight.  Makes 1 loaf.  As I said I changed this recipe to Splenda and applesauce.  For sixteen servings the calorie content is 125 a slice in the original recipe. Using Splenda which has 0 cals and applesauce the cal count s/b less than this which means a little bigger piece, lol....

The texture came out not as moist as the oil recipe, but not bad.  Next time I will use less Splenda because it was pretty sweet, and increase the applesauce to 1/2 C. 


Hugs, LJ

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. John is diabetic and I need to use less sugar, too. This looks delicious. Hope you have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been afraid to substitute the sugar with Splenda or Stevia. You are making me more brave about trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I baked my cranberry bread with splenda once and the whole batch went in the trash. It didn't bake right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking banana bread and thank you for sharing your recipe. Good for you to look after your health. I go to Weight Watchers each week and it is a gift I give myself and my health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a sweetaholic too!! Hope you are successful with your eating plan. It's hard but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on getting things uncontrol.
    It is hard work!
    Love banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying too, and finding it much harder to lose the calories as I age. Hub goes to work at 5 in the evening and works nights. My difficult time is evenings alone when I want to snack. Obviously snacking is no longer allowed. It's a struggle, but then everything is getting to be. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the thought of Banana Bread makes me want some. Good choices on your alternative ingredients. But yes, Splenda adds a very sweet taste! More so than sugar. Best of luck with your new diet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may try this recipe. I have a bit of a sweet tooth and I have hypothyroid and hashimoto thyroiditis. :(
    hope you have a nice week,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your banana bread sounds and looks good. I have trouble with a sweet tooth too, so I'm always searching for something to satisfy the craving without causing more health problems. It's definitely a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your banana bread looks good.... great that you are lowering your carbs and hopefully your blood sugar! I know the struggle! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog! I must get you on my sidebar so I see the new posts...must do it on the laptop which I don't get to often (use my phone more) then I forget!
    This post caught my attention because I will get a blood draw next week to check sugars and such. I've been borderline pre diabetes for so long. It's hard to want to deny myself what I want to eat! Ugh. Using applesauce is such a good sub for oil. I need to remember it more.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete