Easter

Easter
Easter Graphic by Graphics Fairy

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sewing and thinking of my mom today

One thing I cannot thank my mom enough for is that she taught me to sew, knit, and crochet.  I wish I had learned to tat, I have tried to teach myself but it isn't my thing. I can knit with the best of them, crocheting, I can do, but it isn't my favorite thing.

My mom was one of 7 children,  one of which died in a influenza outbreak, all of whom are gone now, but she learned how to fend for herself.  She had to quit school in the 8th grade and go to work in a shoe factory, also worked in a lace factory.  She brought home her pay to her mom and dad and kept 50 cents for herself.  As did the other children.  If you lived at home you  contributed to the family coffer.  My PePe had a farm and also worked in a factory. Meme stayed home and cooked, cleaned, took care of the animals, also sewed, knit and crocheted.  Life was hard. Especially during the depression.  My mom was what they called a clothes horse back then, well, I guess she always was, lol...  Meaning she loved clothes and she made a lot of them.  She always looked nice, my mom...  I have seen all the old pics and will share a few here.  If she didn't sew them, she knitted them.  Not just sweaters, but beautiful suits.   Crocheting was used for table clothes, arm chair protectors and the like.





Mom and Dad 


My Mom


Mom in one of her knitted suits



Sewing saves me money.   You know I bought a twin size bed.  Don't feel bad for hubby. He loves his recliner to sleep in.  He is tucked into this chair like it is his cocoon.  He says," I feel like I am sleeping on a cloud"...Anyway, I digress...  It is so much easier to change the sheets on this bed. It really is a time savor and easier on my arthritis.  I am taking the king size flannel sheets and making them into twin size.  Easy Peasy... Took 30 inches off the side of the flat sheets, stitched a hem.  Put the fitted sheet on top of the mattress and took about 15 inches up all around and placed clips, cut it, stitched a seam all around and wha la....  Twin sheets.  This is a great savings.   I cut down one of the pillow cases to a standard size for the bed and took the other one and using it to cover Maxes pillow in his cage.




I bought this fleece a while back and made pillow cases out of them for Maxes bed. 


The left over fabric have become pull toys for my family's dogs to give them at Christmas.





Today was a productive day. 

Hugs, LJ


11 comments:

  1. Yes, you were very productive! I like the dog pillow covers and pull toys. I'm grateful that my mom taught me to sew and crochet and fend for myself too. She was raised during the depression too, and they learned how to make do with what they had. Nice family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stories about your Mom. My Mom sewed and tatted, too. We just got new beds, Tempurpedic. We told the kids we are getting our hospital beds now instead of waiting until we really need them. They are the most comfortable things (two twins fit into a king bed frame - we have separate controls), but it is a real challenge to change the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great stories and pictures! I never learned to sew, knit or crochet. Growing up I shunned all things I deemed 'girly'. Like cooking, sewing, wearing dresses, etc. I regret that now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty pics of your Mother. You are very smart to have re-sized the sheets. Cute little doggie pillow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed hearing about your MoM. My MoM was a seamstress and made most my clothes. She crocheted a little bit and didn't knit at all. Now, I love to sew and one of my daughters sew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom was a strong and amazing woman! And you are a daughter after her own heart. She was SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved hearing about your mom. She is beautiful in these photos...her clothes are so pretty! I wish I could sew like that. I have the puppy dog fleece material. I bought it to make a blanket for my pups. My is suppose to teach me to sew. Maybe once she gets moved here.
    Hope you've been doing very well!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the story about your mother, LJ. My mother also sewed and sadly I do not have her talents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented. I loved reading about your mom. My mom was a great sewer but didn't take to needle arts, so I never learned how to knit or crochet. I love tatting too, but can't master that either. I do love to sew and quilt. I am the first one in all of my family to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading about your Mom. She was a very nice person and could knit up a storm. It was amazing how fast she could go! A sweater in about 2 days is unbelievable! You have indeed inherited her talent! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss sewing and look forward to more time to get back to it when I retire next year! I will need a new sewing machine, though. My old Singer is over 40 years old!!

    ReplyDelete