dear Lord

dear Lord
dear Lord

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Cabbage Patch Kids





Reading Mildred's blog the other day I was reminded about my experience with Cabbage Patch Dolls.  Many, many moons ago I was a secretary at a fairly big retail company.  I won't name them. I guess after all these years I am still loyal, lol....  They are out of business now, but once was a popular store. For weeks we were inundated with these dolls. They were under our desks, in cubby holes, stashed behind file cabinets. Along with a warehouse full of them....  We could not take big bags in or out of the building or we were searched.  No one wanted to be caught with "the goods"  so we all cooperated... What were they waiting for?  Christmas of course....  Back when these dolls came out there was supposed to be a shortage of them... We were told by the news that there wasn't a Cabbage Patch Kid to be found...   I  dreamed of these characters in my sleep!!!   The only thing I regret now is I didn't come up with the idea for this doll and I didn't buy one and keep it pristine in a box, because they are pretty pricey now, lol...

Hugs, LJ

11 comments:

  1. I remember well when there was this shortage. Each one was different, and had adoption papers. I now wonder if kids appreciated this as much as we adults did! Anyways, now they are at the Dollar Stores and Target, all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post. None of us in school with Xavier could believe the MANIA surrounding these dolls at Christmas! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and then we all jumped on those little stuffed animals called Beanie Babies and were promised they would be collectible. Who still has a box full of them now that aren't worth what we paid for them? I think I have four or five of them around - seasonal. Crazy what we get sucked into. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when they first came out I saw them in Penneys catalog. That was right before they became so famous. I bought one for my Daughter for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did buy one of these little cuties, her name was Emily! I don't know remember what happened to her....I guess I let the granddaughters have her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were all the rage when my daughter was 3 or 4. A friend made her one that looked like the real thing. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when these were such a trend. Isn't it funny how these things come and go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in college when they hit the stores. I remember being in a store in Boston and a doctor was in there buying up every doll they had at $50 apiece, which was a lot in 1984. I personally never got the attraction to them and thought they were kinda ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story and a cute doll too ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I thought they were so cute, but never did buy one. Wish I had, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the dolls and all the talk. I never had to worry about needing to buy one as I had two boys.


    ReplyDelete