cotton and lace

cotton and lace
cotton and lace

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Louisiana, Block 12

This block is named for Louisiana. In Ms. Brackman's book she tells about Sarah Morgan, a young girl from Louisana. Like many gals, she lost her brothers and other loved ones to the war. She, her sisters and mother were forced to leave their home, only to return to find it ravaged.  The Yankee soldiers had smashed china, sideboards were split open with axes, cedar chests plundered. Things stolen.  As a Yankee I cringe when I read what the soldiers did. War is indeed hell. It turns people into people they wouldn't normally be.
 
The block was first published in Hearth & Home magazine about a century ago when the magazine asked readers to mail in patterns named for their home states.

 
This block is the one that gave me fits.  It finally fit together. It wasn't the block, it was me! Being such an inexperienced piecer  I didn't quite know how to sew it together. But finally I threw caution to the wind and sat and started to sew and lo and behold, it came to me how to piece it. Barbara Brackman's hints were a big help.
 
I read the patterns will be getting harder. Wish me luck, lol....
 
Hugs, LJ

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting history and a pretty block. I admire you; sounds too hard for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty block. I like it. It is sad and horrifying what war makes people do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the history and the photo! You have more patience than I do! I admire your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting story. I'm not a quilter but I love them so much and have always paid attention to the different patterns. I don't believe I've ever seen this one, I like it. Looks like you did a great job to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one,,,and the history behind it is very interesting. Good job! You'll be done before you know it.

    ReplyDelete