Easter

Easter
Easter Graphic by Graphics Fairy

Monday, June 15, 2015

London Square Block 14

I have finished another block on a very rainy day.
 
London Square Block 14

 
If you are interested in history I have added some interesting tidbits to my post.

Here is the page from the Civil War Sampler by Barbara Brackman that this block came from.

I couldn't get this much bigger so you may have to enlarge it on you puter.
 
 
 
Also from her website these references.
 
You can watch a dramatization of Fanny Kemble's marriage. Enslavement: The True Story of Fanny Kemble was released in 2000 starring Jane Seymour as Fanny and Keith Carradine as one of the top ten bad husbands ever.
 
I saw this a very long time ago and I can't remember too much about it. I am going to look for it so I can see it again.
 
Click here to read more:


 

 

Read  Fanny Kemble's book: Journal of a Residence on a Georgia Plantation in London at Google Books.
Click here:


But beware: Fanny did not pull any punches in describing the horrors of slavery in these letters. It is not a pleasant read.
 
I find my sampler book and Ms. Brackman's website so interesting to read that I have downloaded Fanny Kemble's book to the computer to browse through.
Have a good evening. Hugs, LJ

 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Another beautiful block! The book sounds like an interesting and educational one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I really like this one. Love the colors and the way it is configured. The books sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! Thank you for all the background history. Your square is lovely and I am so looking forward to seeing your quilt all put together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this block! You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block that you created up there is stunning! And the history that correlates with you piece is so fascinating! Such a great blog you have here!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty block..... I love to read the history on quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely block! I like the floral fabric on the left bottom. The history of quilts is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Jane, although I have no talent in some creative arts, like crocheting, knitting and quilting, I do admire your handiwork.
    Also, thanks for your comments on our Frog & PenguINN blog. I saw on your profile that you also live in New England. We have recently relocated from our native NJ and then VA and are now living in Nashua, NH. I was wondering if you were anywhere near us. You can email me at the link on our blog. It would be great to "hear" from you. FYI, in the "real" world, my name is "Dorothy" and Grenville, my husband, is Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lady Jane and thank you for visiting and commenting. I have been lax in my visits yet now I can catch up with your beautiful quilt blocks. How wonderful to also learn about the history as you sew the fabrics together. Creative Quilting Bliss and June JOY...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented and the history behind the design is interesting. I'm not good at sewing, but I love to see all the quilt designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so talented and the history behind the design is interesting. I'm not good at sewing, but I love to see all the quilt designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another pretty block and I enjoy the history you share with us. Hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty! you always choose great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt blocks get better and better with each new one. I always enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love the history behind a design and you did such a lovely job! So very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete