cup of tea

cup of tea
Have Tea With Me

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Thinking of Mom and Dad on Memorial Day

Once the weeding is done here is the next project.
 
This statue belonged to my mom and lives in our grove. I cannot walk the yard or drive down the driveway without seeing this statue and it always reminds me of my mom.  It is in badly need of repainting.  This trip around I think I will do the inside of the shell a light blue and I will do the Holy Mother all white.  Before she had a blue veil, white dress and her facial features were colored in, etc... I want something simple this time around.  I need to move some lily of the valley into the grove as well. They were one of her favorites.  It is very shady in there so I hope they take. I also have a huge flat stone I want to move in there to set on two other stones to use as a bench so it will be a nice place to sit and meditate. All I need is finding someone to move the suckers in there, lol... 


 
How many of you go and plant flowers at your parents cemetery lots?
 
We go and make sure they are tidied up. But our memorial to them is in our yard. I grow lily of the valley for my mom and I have her statue.  I have my dads beach roses and his wagon wheels.  Hubs has his dads irises. These flowers come from their gardens and have moved with us everywhere we go. I do have roses for Hubs mom but she really wasn't a flower person so our tribute to her is in my dollhouse. All her Christmas earrings are on the tree in the parlor. They are with us every day that way and it is hard not to think of them when I am busy in the yard or working on my dollhouse.
 
Hugs, LJ

13 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful way to remember these people you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your memorial garden sounds very nice. I think the lily of the valley will do well in the grove. Have a wonderful day, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your memorial garden Jane! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memorial garden looks good.. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary, a wonderful way to pay tribute to your loved ones. We change out the vase of silk flowers at the graves of my loved ones 4 times per year. We are about 2 hours drive away now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great way to remember your loved ones! I am 1,000 miles + from my folk's graves and we are farther than that from Joe's parent's, so we have to rely on other family members to do grave duties. My sister-in-law takes care of my folks and my brother (her late husband) since they are buried side-by-side in the same cemetery. We send money to help pay for the Christmas blanket of pine. I like your memorial tributes better. We all know that it is only their earthly remains in the ground. Their spirits live all around us and especially in our hearts and memories. The statue of the Blessed Mother is lovely. Please show us how She looks when you finish with the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is getting to where we have to hire some one to help with moving things.
    All the grand's live far away, and so are the family cemetery's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely tributes to your loved ones! The statue is beautiful and reminds me of the many grottos of the Blessed Mother in Ireland. The cemetery where my Dad is has strict rules regarding no planting. I think it would be lovely to have flowers at the gravesite. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to pay tribute to the past and include dear ones in your everyday life.. I too have plants from my father and mothers garden..It sort of makes it more inspiring and worthwhile... Lily of the Valley is perfect for that shading spot...Thanks for sharing...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. How heart warming and touching is your post. I love the statue and it is important to keep care over our loved ones resting place. Pat on the back for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How heart warming and touching is your post. I love the statue and it is important to keep care over our loved ones resting place. Pat on the back for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of building a bench there. Nice way to pay tribute to those you love and miss.

    ReplyDelete