Fort Lowell Mission Bell

Fort Lowell Mission Bell
Fort Lowell Mission Bell, Tucson, AZ

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Happy Mother's Day

I read these 3 questions on Cranberry Morning and thought I would post them here as well.  It was fun associating them with my mom.


1. What's a phrase your mother often said to
 

you? If you're a parent, is this something you
 

now say to your own children?
 
Wipe your feet!!!  Hey, Lady Jane.....  What are you
up to?  Make sure your bed is made?  Want to
bake today?  There was a note on our kitchen
door to Whip your feet....  Once I told mom she
 misspelled wipe and she said it was to make sure

we read it and because it was misspelled we would


always do it and she was right, lol... We did...


  Yes, I did tell my son to wipe his feet.

2. What is a scent you associate with your mother or your childhood home?

My mom always smelled of Lily of the valley. She was born in May and that was her flower and she always wore that scent. Also Ponds Cold Cream.  She always wore it. Our home always smelled of lemon wax and Spic and Span. Mom used to mop her floors with high heels on. She was known as the Donna Reed of the neighborhood.

3.What's an activity you remember always doing with your mother (or someone who was a mother figure in your life)?
 Sewing.  Baking.  Going shopping.  When I was real little she would make my brother (who is 11 years older than me) and I tomato sandwiches to eat outdoors.  She would heat up donuts for us to eat with peanut butter.

 I used to love going over to my friends house and her mom would cook us supper on her big cast iron gas stove. Patty had 5 sisters and I being much younger than my brother or sister found it was such fun to visit there at supper time. They had a big kitchen and all the kids would be in the kitchen talking, laughing, and sometimes singing.  There would always be a cat or two and sometimes kittens under the stove.

It is so nice to remember little things from the past moments in life with your mom or a special lady.


 Have a very Happy Mother's Day!
 

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful picture! Young, happy, and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love this post, Lady Jane.
    1. "This too shall pass" is something my mother said frequently, and yes, I said it to my sons as well.
    2. The smell of fresh-baked bread or sometimes cinnamon rolls is a scent that will always remind me of my mother.
    3. I remember sewing, crocheting,cooking, and doing laundry with my mom.
    Happy Mother's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo, and the three questions you picked up from the Hodgepodge! Great memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet memories, it's always the little things we cherish the most. Happy Mother's Day Lady Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to smile at the Donna Reed of the Neighborhood description. I can't imagine mopping floors in high heels, but it sounds very glamorous. My mom didn't mop in heels, but she always applied red lipstick before she left the house. Even if it was only to run out for a gallon of milk and come right back home. I'll always remember that about my mom. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore that photo. And the memories. My mother loved Emeraude by Coty dusting powder. I wish you a blessed Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day, great picture and memories, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The memories are so precious. Your Mom was a gracious lady, always happy and smiling. I loved when I was able to be with her and your Dad. I love the Donna Reed description. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. The memories are so precious. Your Mom was a gracious lady, always happy and smiling. I loved when I was able to be with her and your Dad. I love the Donna Reed description. Lol

    ReplyDelete