flag I made

flag I made
flag I made

Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Civil War Tidbit, New Block, Mom's curtain

An unknown number of Confederate women disguised themselves as men and served as soldiers. Among the proof sheets of his book My Reminiscences of the War and Reconstruction Thomas Pinckney, a member of the 4th South Carolina Cavalry captured during the war, describes his May 31, 1864 discovery that a fellow prisoner was actually a woman whom he later suspected was Barbara Ann Duravan of Tennessee. Her captors did not discover Duravan's gender until after her death in the Alton, Illinois penitentiary (used during the war to hold Confederate prisoners). They buried her in the Confederate Cemetery with her comrades.
 
 
 
 
This block is entitled Fox and Geese....  The pattern is an old design given that name in Carrie Hall's 1935 index to patterns.  There are many variation of these four patches made of large and small triangles, but no record of what mid nineteenth century quilters might have called them.
 
The plain greenish fabric comes from curtains that hung in my moms sitting room when she lived with us during the last years of her life.
 
Hugs, LJ
 

11 comments:

  1. What a delightful re-use of your Mom's curtains! I cannot imagine the courage it took for a woman to serve as a man. How in the world did the women manage "personals"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering because of the stress and eating habits that women didn't get the nutrients needed for their monthlies and they may have stopped. They also had to bind themselves up. I cant imagine what it would have been like for them. They surely believed in their cause to do what they had to do.

      Delete
  2. How precious that you were able to incorporate your mom's curtain fabric in this lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt block. It's so nice to use treasured fabric in things like this. Very interesting info on female Civil War soldiers. Thanks for your visit to my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely keepsake this quilt will be with the fabric that reminds you of your Mother. I saw a quilt in a museum that was made of fabrics from President Lincoln's wife's dresses when she was first lady. I read an interesting novel a while ago about a young woman who fought in the Civil War, disguised as a man. Can't remember the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting about the quilt. Wish you could remember the title of the book. Historical novels are my favorite.

      Delete
  5. I like the yellows, golds, and greens together in this block--so pretty! Interesting notes on Civil War history too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in this!! I wonder how a woman could keep up the disguise for so long? I guess it was possible, with no locker rooms back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping at my blog! I've enjoyed my visit here.
    It's hard to believe that a woman could pull that off, even in prison! I like your quilt and the way you used your Mom's curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How special to include some very special fabric that has so much meaning to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting little bit of history. Thanks for stopping by Blue Country Magic!

    ReplyDelete