Easter

Easter
Easter Graphic by Graphics Fairy

Thursday, March 19, 2015

To Wash Or Not To Wash

I have been perplexed over whether to wash my fabric for the quilt or not.  I found a good article on The Quilting Board. The sentence that made me decide was this:

"Almost every quilter who does not wash her fabric before cutting and sewing will have a story to tell about fabrics bleeding, dyes migrating to other fabrics, and uneven shrinkage. There is always unpredictable fabric to deal with".

On my small projects table runners and such I don't wash and have had no problems, but this is a king size quilt. 120"x120". So, I don't want to invest all the time and effort into it and have problems later..... 

 I have decided to wash.

 I know this is going to take up a lot of extra time because the fabric will lose its sizing. I don't like working with limp fabric so I will use a little spray starch after I wash. I am in no hurry really so what the heck.

 
PINK FIRST
 
(so no strings will form along the cut edge of the fabric. That's what the directions say so I am hoping that is correct.).
 
 

 
Pre-test dark fabrics in a small basin of water for bleeding. If  bleeding you can use salt or vinegar in the rinse water to set the color). Wash in gentle cycle and cool water. Wash separate from light fabrics. That's a no brainer, lol.  If small pieces like fat quarters then wash by hand.
 
It's a start...
LJ
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope the fabric reacts the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of work but better to be safe than sorry. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't wash..But if I am using a fabric that I think will bleed then I do wash it..If you wash one piece you need to wash them all. Otherwise when you wash the finished quilt all the pieces will shrink except the piece that you already washed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it washes well. I always think it is a good idea to wash bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same thing. If it is a small project and is not a color that ususally bleeds I don't wash it. If it is a lap quilt or larger than I wash the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Washing first is such a pain...but most of the time it saves problems later on...I don't wash first on small projects, I just take my chances!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good idea. I forgot about the reds and pinks. Better to not take any chances. The color catchers also work very well when washing mixed colors.

    ReplyDelete