Fall Is In The Air

Fall Is In The Air
Fall Is In The Air

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Chairs Done = DR Done

Through the rain drops I planted some flowers and finished the DR chairs.  As I had said in an earlier post I was just going to cover the cushions with a new fabric but I decided to tear everything apart to see what was underneath it all. The Gods were with me!!!I lucked out that the frame is ok to use... I am so glad I did because the original fabric turned to dust in my hands and  the original cushions had no cushion to them at all.  Hard as a board cause that was what you were sitting on.  Out of 4 cushions there must have been 200 staples and upholstery nails....  It took forever to get those rusted things out of there.  Why anyone would put so many nails in there is beyond me but they did.  After that was done there wasn't much room to put any more in with all the holes so I redid them in a rather unconventional way, lol....  I don't know how they will hold up to the many butts that will use them but time will tell. 
 
 This is what I did.

 
 
My old fabric

 
Their old fabric

 
The original fabric


 
I cut out the foam to the wood shape and wrapped it in the batting
 
 
covered it in muslin

 
rather than tack I wrapped it up like a Christmas package
and then hand stitched it.
 
 
The new fabric is pinned not tacked as I will change this out when I get sick of  the Dr fabric.
 
The only ones that will see this bottom will be Ragsy and Badger, lol
 
 

 
 
 
It is hard to see how flat the old chair was to the new chair it has become.

 
Trust me my butt says thank you!!!
 
 
The porch will get an uplift next...
 
Hope everyone is having a wonderful spring!!!
 
LJ

6 comments:

  1. I am impressed, you had such a clever idea!!! I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chairs look great! I really like them. They look brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did and how creative you were to do it. You will get years of use with these new cushions and you did such a great job that if you change your mind about the fabric you need only cover what is there without all the "take apart " prep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great....and you did it the right way, to take it all apart and start over. And now they will be much more comfortable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great....and you did it the right way, to take it all apart and start over. And now they will be much more comfortable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on the padding and fabric for a vanity stool. Gotta find the right fabric. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I sure like your needle work.

    ReplyDelete